Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ask For Help

Hello fellow Mamas!  I don't quite know what to write about, but the first thing that popped into my head when thinking about "being more interesting" is getting help with the kids so I can do more things for myself!!  They are the priority right now, so getting out and about without them can be very difficult.  When Evelyn was a about 6 months old, I had a pretty major break down -- still trying to get used to being home with two small kids.  I was going crazy and didn't feel like I had any time to pee, let alone do something for myself!  Tim's parents are both recently retired and only 50 miles from us.  I put myself out there and asked Gloria and Ed if they would help me out just a couple times a month, come watch the kids so I could run errands, clean, go to the gym without dragging the kids with me to the germ infested nursery (middle of winter and we were sick left and right, aahhhhh!!) :)  They happily obliged and everyone wins - kids and grandparents get to have QT and I get some time to myself.  It truely has saved my life and we're so fortunate to be close to them.  Grandparents are worth their weight in gold -- all I had to do was ASK for help, which I don't do very well at all.  We, as moms, CAN'T and SHOULDN'T do it all!!  As they say, it takes a village.

Now, how to be more interesting....that's the hard part.  Recently, I've been trying to have more hobbies in attempt to set aside "me" time.  With help from my dad, I have another raised garden bed in the backyard, so I'm growing all sorts of veggies and having fun pulling weeds and staring off in space while watering. :)  I'm training for a couple "mud run" or obstacles runs -- one next month near DSM, called the Warrior Dash, 3 miles with obstacles.  Another one I signed up for is the Tough Mudder in Phoenix next February with my friends, Mike and Mara Syring.  10-12 miles with 20 some obstacles. (Yah, I'm insane...)  I've been wanting to set a goal like this for a few years now.  Not sure why....I think it was after Cameron was born, I thought to myself, "I just gave birth, naturally no doubt....I can do ANYTHING!  What's next??"  Training/exercising is so cathartic for me -- go to a class and do what the trainer tells you to do, shut your brain off, totally exhaust yourself and surprise yourself that you got through that insane workout!  Last week, Tim and I got to go on vacation to Portland, OR with another couple (Mike and Mara) sans kids.  It was amazing.  We hiked, explored downtown, sat and had coffee and scones, visited a few breweries and tasted some amazing beers and wines, people watched, went to the ocean, and just did whatever we wanted to.  I came back so refreshed and full of life.  It was great just to be a couple, not only "Mom" and "Dad".

My kids are amazing and I would die a million deaths for them. They humble me every day. However, they drain and stress me out to unfathomable lengths.  I love the idea of this blog for support and strength while our kids are little and high maintenance.  Thanks, Kim!!

No comments:

Post a Comment